|Monday, January 14, 2013
Well, I never went off the place today. So I didn't get to the machine shop to start making my carburetor tools. Instead I spent the day working on the roadster. The first part of the job, which took most of the morning, was making a body lifter. To get the engine out of the early Model T's, the body has to be raised off the frame a couple of inches. So I made a tool that hooks under the fireweall to raise it. With that tool finished, the next job was raising the body. That was quick work, and it was simple to insert a pair of 2x4 blocks over the brackets to hold the body off the frame. Then came removing nuts and bolts holding the engine in place and dropping the wishbone out of the way. The nuts and bolts are a bit hard to reach, so that part went pretty slowly. The last part, raising the front of the engine to lower the pedals and then sliding the engine forward until the pedals cleared the firewall, was a pretty easy affair. When I put the engine on the stand, I found that I'll need to alter the stand a bit to support the center of gravity of the combined engine and transmission. I'll get started on that tomorrow.
|The ruferos arrived about nine this
morning to install the Duro-Last on the front porch roof. I split my
time between working in the shop on my roadster and watching what they
were doing, and making suggestions. The crew chief was the owner's son,
and doesn't yet have years of experience, so I wanted to keep an eye on
things and make sure the work was done the way I wanted. For a
while Daisy took a sunny spot on my bed and helped me watch. The
roofers finished about two and left, and I didn't waste any time
putting up my plastic temporary windows. I learned my lesson the last
time I did that, with the wind blowing, and this time I wanted to get
it up while the wind was calm. So now I'm ready for rain, if it ever
comes. The forecast is for a chance of rain Saturday night, and now
that the roof is ready I say bring it on. We're now in the driest
period in over fifty years, and some moisture is really needed.
Saturday, January 26, 2013
Early this morning I was off to Hutchinson for the annual mid-winter Model T clinic. This is always a popular event that draws a good turnout. This year Verne Shirk and his daughter Kimberly talked about rebuilding the Model T rear axle. Kimberly is a senior at Wichita State, but found time to rebuild the rear end in her 1914 touring. As always, it was an informative day, and worth the trip. As usual, there was some nice model T's on display, from 1910 to 1927.
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
This morning's main activity was more work on dismantling and cleaning roadster parts, getting them ready for sandblasting whenever the right weather comes along. Some of the parts on the car are OK and I'll keep them, some are worn out and need to be replaced, and some are OK but wrong for 1915, and I'll replace many of those with the right parts. An exception is in the front suspension. A stock 1915 Ford has the front radius rod (wishbone) attached to the spring perches above the axle. After 1918, the wishbone is attached below the axle, which is a more stable and safer arrangement. Even though it's "wrong" for the year, I'm going to keep the below-the-axle setup. During work on the front axle I discovered a mystery. The tie rod featured some ugly welding in the center. I assumed it had been repaired. But it turned out to be almost two inches longer than it should be, so it had been lengthened. When I examined the spindles I found out why.
On the right spindle (shown left), the hole for the arm is perpendicular to the spindle shaft. But on the left spindle the hole is at an angle of about 80º. I posted that picture on the Model T forum. It turned out that a couple of other people have found similar odd spindles with the cockeyed hole, but nobody knows what they're for, or has found any information on them.
Today's other work included sewing a patch on a new shop coat, as the old one's getting kind of ratty, shopping for groceries, repairing my chain saw, and harvesting some wood. The saw's problem was that sometimes the chain would fall off. I took a bar from an old saw and installed it, and the saw was good as new.