Tuesday, April 7, 2015
After my three mile morning jog, breakfast, and a shower, I spent way too much time playing online. I finally went to work about eleven. The first order of business was to mix up a batch of mortar and add another big stone to the back porch so it could be setting while I worked on something else. Something else was the sandblasting equipment. I dumped all the sand out of the blaster and spread it out on a tarp in the sun to dry. It turned out that most of it was already dry. The wet stuff clogging the works was in the pipe under the tank. The next chore was setting up something to trap condensed moisture and keep it from reaching the blaster. Instead of adding a vertical pipe trap to the line, I decided to make a much bigger trap. That's the old water heater I replaced in February. I had to replace it because the burner went bad, but the tank is still good. So that will be my thirty gallon moisture trap. I went to town and got some pipe fittings, and spent the afternoon washing out the tank and installing air hose connectors to the inlet and outlet. It was a sunny afternoon, and I remembered to take a few minutes to shoot a spring portrait of the roadster with blooming lilacs.
April 8, 2015
This morning I finished my new moisture trap, adding a drain valve. I took it to the blasting area east of the barn, set up the equipment, and gave it a go. The tank worked perfectly and I had no more trouble with wet sand. I spent a couple of hours blasting, and the only reasons I quit were the heat and not being able to see what I was doing. All I can do about the heat is wait for a cooler time to work. The vision thing calls for a new sheet of clear plastic on my hood. Eventually the plastic gets so scratched up you can't see clearly though it. That's when I tape on a new piece. Tomorrow is supposed to be a clear day, so I'll get out there in the cool of the morning for another blasting session. I have all the wheel parts done except the three rims. One of those is almost finished, with two left in full rust mode. The rims are slow going, so I probably won't finish them all in one session. After a shower to wash off the sand, I went back to work on the back porch, adding another big stone and some surrounding smaller ones. Waiting for the mortar to set before adding another big one, I expect the stone work will take at least another week.
Thursday, April 9, 2015
Lots of huffing and puffing, but not much to show for it. The overnight storm brought strong winds, a lot of lightning, and a trace of moisture. I don't know if there was even enough of it to qualify as rain. It was all over by daylight, and this turned out to be a good day for sandblasting. It was fairly cool, and mostly overcast enough to provide even lighting. I taped a new sheet of clear plastic on my hood and got started about ten. I kept at it until 2:30, finishing up the rim I started yesterday and doing another one. I also blasted the yard light fixture that will go on the back porch when it's done. I had all the equipment put away by three. A shower to wash off the sand and a trip to town for groceries and another sack of mortar finished my day.
Sunday, April 26, 2015
Never made it off the place today. I put on my winter overalls and coat and got back to work on the back porch masonry. Specifically, laying stones across the top of the window frame. This was the most complicated part of the stone work. I had to install the steel support bar, then the large stones, then the small stones filling in around them, and get it all done before the mortar set. I did. I hope to finish the stone work this week and get started on the carpentry that will go over it. By the time I finished up around three, it was warm enough to shed the extra clothes. After cleaning my tools, I put the tarps in place in case the rain predicted for tonight actually happens. The last job of the day was yard work. I did some much-needed weed pulling in front of the house, dug up the two defunct rose bushes there, and planted the two new ones I got to replace them.
Monday, April 27, 2015
On a wet, chilly morning, I spent a big part of the day adding bearing-removal notches to a pair of front hubs, taking pictures of the work, and writing a piece on it for The Vintage Ford. In the afternoon I got back to work on the back porch, getting ready to add another of the big stones for the corner. Figuring out the best position for the big stone was no problem. Finding the right little stones to fit in around it was the slow part. That took over an hour. I didn't have time to mix up a batch of mortar and set them all in place, so that will come tomorrow.